Today I’ve tried to install the new Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on a Citrix environment. Everything worked fine as an administrator but the application didn’t launch when I started it as a user. After a short investigation I found the program started fine when AppSense whas disabled. After some Googling I found a similar problem with AppSense EM 8.1 and an older Acrobat Reader version.
The problem was caused by the protected mode. After disabling the protected mode the application works fine. This is not a prefered situation as Acrobat Reader is one of the most attacked programs. Make sure the software stays up to date.
Use the following registry value (dword) to disable the protected mode (you can add this to your mst with the Adobe Customization Wizard)
The problem will be solved for all users.
Another solution is to hive Acrobat Reader or do not personalize it at all. In my experience not a lot of options are made in Acrobat Reader. I do not prefer hiving because it is very similar to roaming profiles.