This is a simple guide to set the default font in an enterprise environment for Office 2013 with AppSense Environment Manager.
At the end of the guide you can optionally download a template for AppSense.
—Please let me know if this post was helpful or you encountered any challenges….
How it`s done:
Word 2013: Registry and file
Powerpoint 2013: File
Excel 2013: Registry
Outlook 2013: Registry
First create a Normal.dotm file;
- Open Word on a clean machine and start with a clean document.
- Hit CTRL-D to start the Font settings.
- Set your Font of choice and hit “Set as Default”
- “Save as” the document to Normal.dotm
In AppSense EM create a Process Started trigger for “WINWORD.EXE” and add the following two actions:
- Set this registry key to prevent Word from renaming the normal.dotm file to normalPre.dotm
Value name: “MigrateNormalOnFirstBoot”
Value type: “REG_DWORD”
- Copy the normal.dotm file from source directory e.g. “%Appsensefiles%\Normal.dotm” (RDP/Citrix) to “%appdata%\Microsoft\Sjablonen\Normal.dotm“.
First create the template file Blank.potx.
- Open Powerpoint on a clean machine and start with a clean document.
- In the ribbon get to the tab “Design” en click on the first template.
- Click on the pull down menu button en select your font.
- Now safe the file as an powerpoint template Blank.potx
Create a Process Started trigger for “POWERPNT.EXE” and add the following action:
- Copy the Blank.potx file from “%Appsensefiles%\Blank.potx” to “%appdata%\Microsoft\Sjablonen\Blank.potx”.
Create a Process Started trigger for “EXCEL.EXE” and add the following action:
- Set registry value:
Value name: “Font”
Value type: “REG_SZ”
Note: In Excel it is also possible to set the font through a GPO: “\Microsoft Excel 2013\Excel Options\General\Font”
Outlook has a little twist and a downside. The trick is to set the font registry keys to the HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\Policies path.
The downside is that if you use a custom font this is not seen by mail recipients outside your company.
- Set the font in Outlook on a clean machine by going to Options -> Stationary and fonts… in Outlook. Close Outlook.
- Export the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\MailSettings.
- Replace “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\” by “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\”.
- Import the .reg file into AppSense.
Create a Process Started trigger for “OUTLOOK.EXE” and add the following action:
- Set registry values:
- Value name: “ComposeFontComplex”
- Value name: “ComposeFontSimple”
- Value name: “CReplyFontComplex”
- Value name: “ReplyFontSimple”
- Value name: “TextFontComplex”
- Value name: “TextFontSimple”
Downloadable AppSense Template
zipped MSI-file: Office 2013 Default Font