Oct 092012
 

Office Web Components 2003 (OWC) is antique. as you can see in the 2003 part. It isn’t supported anymore on the newer Windows versions OWC Page. There isn’t a upgrade for the software. When building a Citrix XenApp environment, there is always legacy software, like this.

OWC is simple software. It is a Internet Explorer add-on that shows excel reports. It contains a few files and some registry keys.. So I thought it would be something easy.  But it gave me a headache. I didn’t work at all. After some googling (Google knows almost everything if you use the right question), I found out that OWC doesn’t like UAC. So I disabled that in our vDisk (we use Citrix provisioning). Probably the reason that Microsoft doesn’t support it anymore.

I did work afterwards when I logged in as an administrator. It still didn’t work with my test user with restricted rights. I got the following error, this is the default error if OWC doesn’t work:

Safety settings on this machine prohibit accessing a data source on another domain

I thought this would be an easy one. Add the site to the trusted sites and change the security settings, I used a GPO for this:

Add the site in the following policy: Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page add the page with a value of 2.
Change the security in the Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page/Trusted Sites Zone.

set Access data sources across domains to Enabled

If you want to solve it locally just set the following setting in internet explorer:

> Internet options, go to the tab  Security.

Add your site here:



Enable Access data sources across domain.

To make sure there was no yellow warning bar to run the add-on, I’ve added the following to the GPO.

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Security Features/Add-on Management
Enable the add-on list, add the following: {0D221D00-A6ED-477C-8A91-41F3B660A832}. Set the value to 1 (permitted)

It still didn’t work. After a lot a searching (way to much) I found the next prpblem. Some of the stub paths in the registry of the vDisk have been removed to remove the notifications at login. These are normally not used.

I’ve re-added the following keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4340}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{A509B1A7-37EF-4b3f-8CFC-4F3A74704073}]

And…. it still didn’t work.. I got an error that regsvr32.exe was blocked by AppSense when login in with my test user. So I’ve stopped the AppSense Application Manager Agent service and it worked.
Solving this was easy. It was caused by the active setup needed to solve my problem, so I’ve added this to the “accessible items”. The error was gone.

Office Web Components worked after that.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)